Suggested guidelines for students:
- In preparing for Post-Secondary, you should be asking yourself whether you are planning to attend a College, University or pursuing a Career Program/Trades Program.
- You should then research the different Programs and Institutions in Canada or abroad related to your choice of study or career path.
- Plan to attend Post-Secondary information sessions either at the individual institutions or at Steveston-London in order to familiarize yourself with various institutions.
- Find out the Application “Start” dates and “Deadlines” for institutions.
- If you plan to enter a university right after high school graduation you are strongly advised to also apply for the University Transfer Program of your choice in at least one of the local institutions (Kwantlen, Langara or Douglas). Applying to a college or Kwantlen serves as a back up plan in the event that you do not get accepted into university. When applying to a college, it is imperative that you apply on the first day of application as you have a higher probability of registering in the courses of your program than if you apply after this date. Students applying to universities must submit their applications before the universities deadline.
- Determine the General as well as Program/Faculty requirements for the institution(s). Always check the English Language Standards (this may vary) of each institution. Then determine if any Entrance Exams (TOEFL, IELTS, LPI, SAT etc) may be needed.
- Determine the tuition and fees related to your program of interest.
- Prepare a budget.
- Research scholarships and awards.
Ministry of Education – 2017-18 Grad Planner
The Ministry of Education has released the 2017/2018 Grad Planner, an annual document published for B.C. secondary students. The Grad Planner outlines graduation requirements, options for earning credit, exams, awards and scholarships and links to additional resources. Students in Grades 10 -12 are encouraged to view the links.
These documents are available online at:
Link to 2017/2018 Grad Planner: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/kindergarten-to-grade-12/support/grad_planner.pdf (link is external)